Tyra Banks in Delta's Air Magazine


by Deborah Caulfield Rybak.

Season Five of Tyra Banks’ talk show kicked off this week on the CW, and her online magazine, Tyra, also debuted this week, though she was already hard at it when I visited with her in New York in July. If past shows have been any indication, we can expect to see her interview more big-name “gets” this year, although, surprisingly, she confessed to not being particularly fierce when it comes to stalking celebrity interviews.

“You know, when I first started my talk show, I made a couple of calls, but I have to admit that I’m a little shy,” she told us. “I’ve had staff say to me, ‘Pick up the phone and call so-and-so, Barbara Walters picks up the phone.’ And I say to them, ‘Yes, but she’s Barbara Walters!’ I don’t know if it’s fear of rejection, so I don’t do it as much as I possibly should. I’ll just approve who we decide to go after.”

She was equally candid about her interviewing technique in the early days. “I was so self conscious and so not listening to the person and veering off and thinking about my next question.” However, she thinks she’s steadily improved. “My time off in the summer kicks me to be even more real, more raw, more inquisitive and more relaxed. I call it ‘See it, Say it.’ If you see it happening, say it. Before, I would see or hear something and think, ‘Ha ha, that was weird and awkward.’ Now I’ll say, ‘OK, that was really crazy what you just said, and I feel like you’re lying to me.’”

Read more of the Sky interview here-->
http://msp.imirus.com/Mpowered/imirus.jsp?volume=ds09&issue=6&page=76